© Michael Alan Ross 2004-2015. All rights
Come, laugh with us, in our lively contention.
Do good, pray hard, and learn to be menschen.
Study our traditions, from mohel to mikvah.
Come in, eat kosher, bless, sing Hatikvah.
Smile often, challenge, and ask questions.
Analyze and debate, all of our suggestions.
Come, climb aboard our oy-vey buses.
Indulge us, in our many mishigases.
Laugh and drink, as we sit in God's tent.
Woe and qvell, as we get bent.
Review our top commandments from sin.
Nod, reluctantly, as to what's out and in.
Drink l'chaim, to God, we pray for you next.
Drs. Ruth and Boteach, who advise safe sex.
Toward evil doers, laugh long and smirk.
Argue strenuously which demon is the bigger jerk.
Let's talk about heinous inquisitions,
Bar mitzvahs, weddings, and bad circumcisions.
Let's laugh about our stories of Chelm.
Let's feel superior to that upside down realm.
None of us ever do stupid things,
Nor do we celebrate crowning fools as kings!
Perhaps, our laughing at stupidity helps us see
Ourselves, by using self-mockery.
Still, we refuse to accept all doings of God.
Rarely does each and every one of us simply bow and nod.
Even after God helped us to cross the Reed Sea,
One of us wailed, "Where's dinner? Don't think one miracle satisfies me!"
- 1. Menschen is Yiddish for decent persons.
- 2. Mohel is Hebrew for circumcision practitioner.
- 3. Mikvah is Hebrew for ritual bath.
- 4. Hatikvah (Hebrew = The Hope) is Israel’s national anthem.
- 5. Mishigases is Yiddish for eccentricities.
- 6. Qvell is Yiddish for joy.
- 7. Drs. Ruth and Boteach are Jewish writers about sex.
- 8. Chelm is a fictional Jewish village.
- 9. Reed Sea is one translation of the Hebrew, “Yam Suf.”